About Our Company
Founded in 1880, The Davey Tree Expert Company is committed to providing our clients with the best scientifically based horticultural and environmental services in the tree care industry. For nearly 140 years Davey has been rooted in corporate responsibility—demonstrating environmental, social and economic stewardship in everything we do.
Davey is passionate about our communities’ natural assets, the trees and plant life that make our world a greener, healthier and more beautiful place to live. As we work to advance the green industry, our employee owners are committed to providing solutions that promote responsible practices for the sustainability of the environment and society.
102-2, 102-4, 102-6, 102-7, 102-10
Davey operates across the United States and Canada, providing a variety of tree care, grounds maintenance and consulting services for the residential, commercial, government and utility markets. Our residential and commercial services segment provides services to residential and commercial customers, including:
- The treatment, preservation, maintenance, removal and planting of trees, shrubs and other plants
- The practice of landscaping, grounds maintenance and tree surgery
- The application of fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides
- Natural resource management and consulting, environmental planning and forestry research and development
Our utility segment is principally engaged in providing services to utility customers, including Investor-owned, Municipal, REA, Co-ops, Communications and Natural Gas Utilities:
- Line-clearing and vegetation management around power lines
- Rights-of-way and chemical brush control, natural resource management and consulting, forestry research and development and environmental planning
We also maintain research, technical support and laboratory diagnostic facilities. A complete description of our business operations including subsidiaries can be found in our annual report available on Davey.com.
A company is only as successful as its people. This sentiment rings true for Davey. We would not be in business for nearly 140 years without the dedication and hard work of our employees and employee-owners. In 2018, we continued to grow. We made notable acquisitions, including Elizabeth River in Suffolk, VA, Land Management Group in Wilmington, NC, and New Age Communications from Cincinnati, OH, further solidifying our leadership position.
REVENUE TRENDS (MILLIONS, USD)
Staying true to Davey’s corporate responsibility pillars requires us to consider who and how we partner with our suppliers. Davey’s largest purchasing categories include equipment, insurance, fuel, chemicals and miscellaneous supplies. Equipped with the results of our materiality assessment, we have begun collaborating with several suppliers to develop innovative solutions for our mutual focus areas.
In 2018 we surveyed our chemical suppliers on their sustainability programs and looking for ways to collaborate on achieving our big goals. We received a 100% response rate from our Chemical suppliers with several now reaching out with collaboration ideas.
Partner & Industry Leadership
Davey partners with many organizations to advance tree stewardship and societal well-being. Some of these organizations, programs and conferences include:
- Alliance for Community Trees
- American Academy for Park & Recreation Administration
- Arbor Day Foundation
- Arboriculture Research and Education Academy
- Garden Writers Association
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Master Gardeners
- National Association of Landscape Professionals
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment
- Society of Municipal Arborists
- Sustainable Urban Forest Coalition
- Tree Care Industry Association
- TREE Fund
- U.S. Forest Service
- Utility Arborist Association
Our employees devote their time, talent and leadership to these organizations, as well as other initiatives that promote and provide sustainable communities.
In recognition of our industry and community leadership and excellent client service, we received several awards in 2018, including:
- Garden Writers Association 2018 GWA Media Awards Silver Medal Winners, Broadcast Media and Calendar categories
- Tree Care Industry Association Professional Communications Awards, flyer/ad/postcard; digital/social media; and website categories